Ashesi University (“Ashesi”) is a private, non-profit university and a company limited by guarantee duly registered under the laws of Ghana. Our mission is to educate a new generation of ethical, entrepreneurial leaders in Africa; to cultivate in our students the critical thinking skills, the concern for others, and the courage it will take to transform their continent.
At Ashesi, we value the importance of our supporters’ privacy and are committed to protecting it. We will do our best to protect the security of your data and will never sell or share your data with any other organization for marketing purposes.
Why does Ashesi collect personal data?
Ashesi collects and uses personal data to support our legitimate interest, as a nonprofit organization, in furthering our mission. We may collect and store data on individuals who have interacted with or given to Ashesi in the past, who are employed by organizations which support Ashesi, or who have a strong alignment with Ashesi’s mission, among others, because we believe these activities to be in line with our mission of building a global community of support for Ashesi University. We may store information collected in alignment with these goals for as long as we deem it beneficial to our organization.
Our legitimate interest in furthering our mission does not automatically override your interests, and we will not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law). Your personal data will not be used for the purposes of automated decision making or profiling which produces a legal or otherwise significant effect on you.
What is personal data?
“Personal Data” includes any and all information that allows Ashesi to identify you as an individual.
Personal data that Ashesi collects may include your name, email address, mailing address, telephone number, donation history, employer, and other information about your identity. We may also collect information related to your relationship with Ashesi.
How does Ashesi collect my personal data?
- Donations and correspondence: When you donate to Ashesi, we will store the information you provided to us in the course of the donation. For example, we may store the mailing address listed on a personal check or the email address given in the course of an online donation. We may also store a record of correspondence regarding Ashesi between you and a staff member, trustee, or other agents of Ashesi.
- Events: Ashesi may store any personal information you provide to us while attending an Ashesisponsored event or responding to an invitation. We frequently take photos and recordings at Ashesi events; If you participate in an Ashesi event as a panelist, presenter, or attendee, you may be captured in these materials, and your likeness stored in our records or used for promotional materials. Ashesi may also store information that you provide to an agent of Ashesi at events that are not Ashesi‐sponsored. For example, if you exchange business cards with an Ashesi trustee at a conference, this information may be stored in our database.
- Ashesi University: Ashesi may store personal information on students, alumni, faculty, staff, trustees, or advisors of Ashesi University, as well as on individuals that provide personal data to Ashesi in the course of a visit to Ashesi University’s campus.
- Third parties: We may receive personal data about you from other sources, including your company/organization, professional references, publicly available sources, and other third parties. For example, we may receive your personal data via your company website, if you provide it to a donation platform such as Network for Good while making a donation to us through Ashesi University Foundation, or if it is provided to us by one of our employees or other stakeholders.
Ashesi does not collect personal information from visitors to our site, unless the information is specifically provided by a visitor – for example, by subscribing to our newsletter.
How does Ashesi use my personal data?
The purposes for which Ashesi may use your personal data include:
- To process donations made to Ashesi.
- To provide information to those who may be interested in learning more about Ashesi’s work.
- To help us maintain our relationship with those who have assisted us and supported our work in the past.
- To personalize or otherwise improve our communications with our supporters.
- To conduct research and outreach to individuals or organizations who we reasonably believe may have an interest in Ashesi’s work.
- To administer and improve our organization.
- To comply with our legal and contractual obligations.
- To solicit donations to support our charitable mission.
- To collaborate with third parties in support of our mission.
Will Ashesi share my personal data?
Ashesi will never sell or rent your personal data to parties outside our organization. Occasionally, we may share your information with service providers who provide operational support to Ashesi. These partners will use your information only under our instruction, and never for their own purposes. Examples of organizations and service providers with whom Ashesi may share your data include but not limited to:
- Communications platform
- Printing press
- Customer Relationship Management Systems platform
How does Ashesi protect my data?
We maintain appropriate technical and organizational measures to prevent unauthorized disclosure of your personal data, and our site has security measures in place to protect the information under our control. Only authorized individuals at Ashesi or acting on Ashesi’s behalf have access to our database.
Where will my personal data be held?
Ashesi is headquartered in Ghana. If you are visiting our website from outside Ghana, be aware that your information may be transferred to, processed, and stored in Ghana, where our office is located. Personal data may occasionally be shared with our colleagues at Ashesi University Foundation in the United States of America, or with members of our Board of Trustees (who may be situated anywhere in the world), if such sharing is necessary under our legitimate interest in advancing our mission.
On some occasions, our use of your personal data may require express consent from you. We will never knowingly process data for a purpose which requires consent without obtaining such consent from you.
For example, if you are a citizen or resident of the European Union and thus subject to the GDPR, we will not knowingly send you our e‐newsletter unless you have opted in via our online subscription form or given express written permission to Ashesi for this use.
Ashesi follows guidance from the Data Protection Act, 2012 (Act 843), Cybersecurity Act, 2020 (Act 1038) and Electronic Transactions Act, 2008 (Act 772) for compliance with Children’s Online Privacy Protection. Ashesi does not knowingly solicit or collect personal data online from children under the age of 13.
- You have the right to contact us to request access to the personal data we hold on you, the purposes for which that data has been processed, the period for which we intend to store it, and the identity of any third parties to whom it has been disclosed.
- You have the right to request that we rectify outdated or incorrect personal data.
- You have the right to restrict our use of your data.
- You have the right to request that we permanently delete all of your personal data from our records.
- If you believe that we have mishandled your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
If you have subscribed to our mailing list, you have the right to opt out of receiving materials from us at any time. Please note that an “opt‐out” of our mailing list does not constitute a request to have your personal data permanently deleted from our database.
1 University Avenue,
Berekuso, Eastern Region,
Telephone: +233 302 610 330