The city branding of Accra
No abstract. What follows is the Introduction: Accra became the administrative capital of Ghana in 1877 when the British colonial authority transferred the seat of government from Cape Coast. Accra was declared a city on 29 June 1961 by Ghana’s first President Dr Kwame Nkrumah. Accra has been one of the fastest growing cities in Africa since the pre-colonial era. Central to the development of Accra was the building of three European forts as trading posts in the 17th century. The first of these was Fort Crevecouer, built by the Dutch in 1650, which was later renamed Fort Ussher. In 1661, the Danes built the second, Christianbourg Castle. The British then followed in 1673 with Fort James. The choice of Accra as a location for castles was attributed to the presence of a rocky shoreline and natural harbor. By the 1850s, the British had taken over the interests of other European nations in Accra and defined the Gold Coast (now Ghana) as a geographical entity. In 1877 the British colonial administration was moved to Christianbourg Castle.
Anthony Ebow Spio is a lecturer in the Business Administration department of Ashesi University College
Accra, Branding, Ghana government, Brand identity
Spio A.E. (2011) The City Branding of Accra. In: Dinnie K. (eds) City Branding. Palgrave Macmillan, London. https://doi.org/10.1057/9780230294790_12 DO